Charles Mato, the Paramount Ruler of Gindri in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau, has regained his freedom from his kidnappers.
Major Ishaku Takwa, the Media Officer of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), which maintains peace in the Plateau and environment, was the one who confirmed his release in a statement today in Jos.
We recall that gunmen who are speculated to be bandits kidnapped Charles Mato on the 26th of December, 2021.
Major Ishaku Takwa said that his troops were immediately deployed to the area to search for and rescue the monarch.
While the traditional ruler had been with his abductors, the commander of OPSH, Major Gen. Ibrahim Ali, placed the troops deployed at Gyanbus on red alert and on the hot trail of the perpetrators.
Consequently, eight suspects were arrested in connection with the kidnapping incident and are being interrogated.
Following this development, the paramount ruler was released in the early hours of Friday, December 31.
Meanwhile, we will ensure all those involved in the kidnap of the traditional ruler are arrested and made to face the full wrath of the law, “Takwa said.
The media officer did not reveal if the ransom was paid before the monarch was released by his kidnappers, as the kidnappers had earlier asked for a ransom of 500 million naira in exchange for the monarch’s release.